Thursday, October 16, 2008

Part 1 of Lady Apple with Ribbon


Lady Apple with Satin Ribbon (part one of diptych) – 2-1/2” x 8” - Oil on canvas panel

This is the first of two small paintings I am working on for an upcoming juried “Small Works” show. The composition is of two long linear panels with lady apples and a gray satin ribbon. It is a play with on the frieze paintings I have been working on over the past year, just in miniature. For this piece I wanted to play with the complementary colors of the red and green apple offset by the rather neutral ribbon and background colors. Instead of being full of color the textures and surfaces became more important. The shiny smoothness of the ribbon and the matte neutral of the cream background were also a focus of this painting.

The second part is partially completed; I need another painting session or so to get it to where I want it to be and also to blend well with the first one. When it is up I will share it with you. Until the weekend, have a good one!

Here is another blog post with great apple pics.

No comments: