Friday, September 7, 2007

About Me

Welcome to the place where I share my artistic journey. All pursuits related to building my skills, areas of interest, and the paintings that result are here, along with the occasional posting of what else is going on in my life.

{paintings above my desk in the studio}

:: a bit about me ::
I feel very lucky to be able to pursue my dream of being a full-time artist. As an artist, I focus primarily on still life and landscape paintings, working in oils, painting from life in a representational manner. When working on new projects I feel it is through these two genres that I am able to be most expressive and convey the joy and wonder I feel when inspired to create a work of art.

This blog was begun in September 2007 as a way to map the progress of my painting skills {my first time painting in oils was in 2006}, sell some small paintings on eBay, and to hold myself accountable towards my ultimate goal at that time – to be a full-time artist. In March 2009 I accomplished the goal of leaving my previous profession {architecture} to jump into the deep end and begin swimming with the pros.

During the three years, 2009 to 2011, I shifted my focus some to pursue as much instruction and skill development as I could absorb. During this time, I studied with many different instructors {Danni Dawson, Robert Liberace, and Susan Abbott to name a few}, explored the three main genres of art {still life, landscape, and figurative}, and over all worked to master painting and drawing techniques. I believe it is essential to have a strong proficiency over the mechanics of drawing and painting in order to maximize the ability to express the sense of beauty and wonder I find in the world.

Beginning this year, 2012, I feel I am entering a new period of my art career, where my focus will be on developing a new series {Bountiful Observations}, selling small paintings online again, and learning to balance the wonder of being a mother with my career.

{Naomi and I taking a break during one of my "painting days"}

I hope you will join me in this new phase, as I plan 2012 to be one of the most productive and rewarding years yet.

Throughout the year I plan to post regularly. Every Monday a new Bountiful Observations painting will be posted and available for sale via an online auction. Once the weather gets warmer, Naomi and I will be heading out to paint en plein air, hopefully on a weekly schedule and I plan to share these excursions with you here on this blog. Also, I plan to post small still-life paintings available for purchase once or twice a week, and each week will end with a Friday Inspiration post.

And, of course I will share any other news and paintings as they occur.

Thanks for visiting and if you like what you see, please subscribe to receive email updates for each new blog post.

Liz

P.S. I love hearing from you, so please feel free to comment or send me an email, contact[at]elizabethfloyd.com

3 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

OH THERE SHE IS :D
I finally trolled around and found a photo of the little love. Precious!
I don't think it would be too self indulgent to throw in a photo of Naomi every now and the.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Mary, I do include her in some posts, however my photo blog is turning into a blog about Naomi!

Anonymous said...

You are certainly entitled ;) She is precious!