Sunday, September 9, 2007

Another Figure Painting


Pensive Afternoon 8" x 10" Oil on Canvas Panel

When I completed this portrait I felt the model was in a very thoughtful and pensive mood. There was a sense of feeling that she was present in body, but her thoughts were miles away… this is what I like about figure/portrait work, capturing the feelings and emotions of the individual I am painting. I feel as if I am getting to know the person a little more, and in effect learning more about myself and how I interact with others and move through life.

This painting was also technical breakthrough for me. My instructor had recently shared the insight of using the thickness of the paint applied to the toned canvas as a means of controlling the saturation and color of the paint when it is brushed onto the canvas. I like to apply the paint thickly, so learning to vary the paint application has given me a broader and more expressive painting technique.

No comments: