Monday, September 17, 2007

Mackintosh Apple Still Life


Mackintosh Apple 6” x 8” Oil on Canvas

Painting apples is a wonderful experience, especially Mackintosh apples as they have complementary hues of red and green. When I painted this apple I was practicing my wet-in-wet paint handling, so all areas that are red and all that are green were initially painted with the opposite color on the color wheel. I then worked to apply the oil paint so that I could achieve the actual color without turning the painting into a gray mess. (This can occur when you mix complement colors into each other too much).

Drapery is also another area of focus I am working on. I have been practicing different setups that include folds and creases in my still lifes. This painting is full of dynamic movement that can occur with drapery.

No comments: