Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pink Hyacinths { a new small floral painting} SOLD

Pink Hyacinths

Pink Hyacinths

{7" x 5" (17.8 x 12.7 cm) – oil on linen panel}
SOLD
Unframed painting: $100.00 starting bid + S&H

This was the first time to paint hyacinths since working on the de Heem copy. Initially I started off real tight, and after a few hours realized that the painting was not going in the direction I wanted, so out came the palette knife and I scraped the painting down.

With the initial experience in mind, I set out to capture the essence of the flowers without tightening up, and I am pleased at how it turned out. There is an abundance of soft edges, paired with some specific focused areas.

2 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

It's beautiful, Liz!! Your values are always dead-on perfect. I too try to stay away from my painting being too "tight," have noticed it especially when tackling new subjects.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Diane :) Yes, new subjects often increase the potential of getting too "tight", thank goodness for being able to wipe down a painting gone bad...