Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bartlett Pear Still Life


Bartlett Pear – 6" x 6" – Oil on Canvas Panel – SOLD

Sunday mornings begin with me heading over to the Mount Vernon Rec Center to swim. My friend, Marilze, encouraged me to start swimming again on New Years Day. After a morning swim I am usually ready to dig in and focus on the day’s tasks, which always includes some time to paint or draw.

For this painting along with the prior apple painting I set up the lighting for a dramatic effect. I propped up a panel to half block the directional light to cast a long shadow in the background on the side the light is positioned. This method really enables some dramatic contrasts in light and dark. Something I will continue to play with.

4 comments:

knack said...

Hey there,

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for becoming a friend! I'm so excited to have you! Your work is beautiful!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I appreciate it :-)

Jennifer Bellinger said...

What a lovely study, perfect in every respect!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Jennifer it means a lot to receive such nice words from you!