Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Snowy Vermont Farmland

Snowy Vermont Farmland

Its nearing the end of January and so far, winter has not really arrived in the way of snow. So I have been experimenting with painting snowy landscapes in the studio.

Working from photographs is new for me, as I have always preferred to paint from life. I have found this to be a bit liberating, because when working from a photo I feel like I can alter and interpret the colors more, knowing that photos never "truly" record color accurately. So I shift colors, warm or cool, play with variations within the same value range, and even make stuff up if I want a specific feeling to occur.

I am beginning to love this series because of all the additional design freedom that is involved with each painting.


Here is a detail of the how I warmed up the foreground and cooled and neutralized the background. In life I love the "lace" that bare trees make, and I am going to continue to work on representing this detail in paint.

Have a wonderful day, and I hope you stay warm.
Liz

{How the painting looks matted, ready to pop into an 11” x 14” frame}

Snowy Vermont Farmland

approx 5” x 9” (12.7 x 22.9 cm)– oil on gessoed paper }
Matted painting: $175.00 starting bid + S&H

1 comment:

pve design said...

lovely. I always love the snow and the way the rosy hues cast light and shadows upon the snow.
It looks cold.
It is cold here. Freezing actually. We have a lovely fire going.
pve