Monday, July 12, 2010

Danni's Treasures {now finished}

20100706 Dannis Treasures
Danni’s Treasures – 12" x 16" (30.5 x 40.6 cm) – oil on linen

Last week I was lucky enough to finish this painting. It was completed in Danni Dawson’s studio in Arlington, where she gave me access to her studio and home while she was away teaching in Italy. Working in Danni’s studio was amazing, the quality of light is magnificent, she has a large northern window to provide the overall ambient light then there are smaller windows on the east and south wall, which allows for subtle light quality differences. This painting was set up near the east window, so the light was best in the mid to late afternoon, eastern light is also a little warmer in temperature than true northern light.

To date this is my most detail oriented painting, I was constantly trying to balance the detail of the rug pattern in the background and foreground while always making the cup the most important feature of the painting. The cup is a French antique with the most wonderful modulated glaze with the delicate blue pattern.

Working away from home for the past three weeks has been exhilarating in that it was like a mini artist residency, when I would take breaks I would read through various art books and think about what to paint next. Ideas are floating around in my head and I am starting a new project this week.

See you soon! Thanks for stopping by and reading,

Liz

10 comments:

Virginia Floyd said...

Wow, Liz. This is wonderful! The colors in the rug just glow. I love it!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Virginia! I am happy to hear you like it :)

ale balanzario said...

Very good worked Liz, love all the color and the textures.
Good for you.
Abrazos
Ale

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Good grief, girl! This is just gorgeous!

Isn't it nice to get out of a familiar place? Gives you a new perspective. What a fun thing to get to "studio sit!"

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Gracias Ale!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Elizabeth, it was wonderful getting out of my routine and experience a well designed studio. Maybe I will be fortunate to do the same service...

Kerri Settle said...

Stunning! All that detail and color is a visual feast. Silly enough, my favorite little part of the painting are the tassels on the rug - I just love the way you nailed the look of the little threads coming together and wrapping around each other.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Kerri, The fringe was the most intimidating to me because I wanted to present the "gist" of the threads without painting each and every thread. So a lot of squinting went on, with a lot of simplification as well ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Elizabeth! This painting is awesome! I love absolutely every detail of it - the rug texture and ornaments, lemons and of course the cup look so real!
Cheerz!
Zara

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Zara! Thanks for sharing, I so appreciate the feedback :)