Sunday, February 24, 2008

Blue and Yellow Still Life


Lemon on Checked Cloth – 6" x 8" Oil on Canvas Panel SOLD

Last weekend I attended a workshop that focused on the Feldenkrais Method. At this workshop we were led by a very talented practitioner, Donna Blank, through several Awareness Through Movement sessions. I attended this event in the hopes that it will help me become more able to stand behind my easel for longer periods of time, as I have a back injury that sometimes limits my mobility.

The positive result of this workshop is that I was able to stand at my easel for longer periods this week, and I was feeling so good about it I have started focusing my painting on trying to depict fabric patterns, like the checked cloth below the lemon. I think I had the patience to take this on because I was more comfortable as I stood at my easel. This may all be in my head, but maybe not as I have since started another still life planned for a gallery with a striped fabric pattern and a more complex composition than I typically attempt. So I believe the workshop has been a positive influence in my life.

The Feldenkrais Method is really a great experience and I encourage all to investigate it further.

Sincerely, Liz

No comments: