Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 2: Miss Juliana Willoughby by George Romney

week 2: end of day status
{end of day status}

Hello,

Yesterday I was back in the gallery working on this copy, and I am happy to say that Thursdays are a great day to paint!

week 2: detail

For this painting session only the hat and face were focused on, I wanted to refine some of the edges and make smoother transitions between the different structural features. I was still trying to keep the shapes big and simple and not putting much effort into the details, however in some ways attention to the details began to creep in... So as a means of keeping me from diving into the details and somewhat limiting the abilty to zero in on the little bits only bristle brushes were used, forcing me to keep things simple.

I maintained the same limited palette as last week {Ivory Black, Burnt Umber, Cobalt Blue, Naples Yellow, Venetian Red, and Cremnitz White} while adding alizerin crimson in a few spots.

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I would LOVE to be able to go into such a museum and paint. I can see how you honed your abilities.
You've done the work.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Mary, being a copyist has probably been the best experience I have experienced as a means to improve my craft. I think being in the gallery, surrounded by fantastic art, only inspires you to work beyond your skills and grow.

PS, thanks for all the comments today! It is like having a conversation about many different areas of art, like you would have with a friend in a coffee shop... Have a great weekend!