Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gala Apple Daily Painting

Gala Apples – 4" x 6" – Oil on Canvas Panel – SOLD

Hello friends,

I am back on my feet and painting again, the back injury has begun to settle down. Yahoo!

Today’s daily painting is a partial view of a larger composition I am currently working on. For this composition I am using natural light which is different from an incandescent bulb that shines directional warm light. When using natural light shadows are more subtle because the light source is diffused and not directional, color choices become more nuanced as the entire color spectrum of natural light does not drown out any colors as incandescent can. I find painting with natural light a greater challenge as I must really see and not make assumptions on light and shadow.

8 comments:

Elisabeth's bright side said...

Hi, nice that you are up on your feet again!
Question: Do you paint other than stillife? I just wonder, you do it so beautifully and stillife is not my thing. (I'm always floating)
I envy you a little since you are able to paint every day. I just have to start again.

Have a great inspired day!!!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Elisabeth, right now I only paint still life. I do enjoy painting the figure and going out and doing some plein air landscapes, it has just been cold and raining a lot, which has been keeping me inside.

I also really enjoy still life painting and so maybe I am getting stuck in a rut by only doing this one type of painting.

Good luck in getting into painting again, and have a wonderful day!

Mariss said...

Hope you feel better soon :) I like the new painting. It makes me want to raid the beau's oil paints and get crackin'!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Mariss, I am feeling much better now, thanks for asking. Liz

Anonymous said...

Beautiful apple painting - how do you do to get them to look both real and painterly? Yes, sometime one needs to adapt one's techniques based on ones body... hope your back is feeling better.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Anna, I squint a lot while painting, trying to get the values correct for the masses and paint in some of the details when I am not squinting. My back is doing much better now! Yippie! ...but I am working hard not to over do it and have a minor relapse... that is something I do not want! :)

Unknown said...

Love the way you've painted the light on the side of the apple, here.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Diana!