Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Last Vestiges of Winter


My Large Pumpkin – 6" x 6" Oil on Canvas Panel SOLD

I have had this pumpkin since the late fall. It has been a challenge to paint, as the color is not quite orange or salmon, so the shadow areas are just as nebulous… I have started a few paintings of this pumpkin and have more times than not, scraped them down and started over or changed subjects… In this painting was pleased with what I captured in paint and I really liked the shadow the pumpkin cast. Unfortunately I believe this may be the last painting I will be able to attempt as the pumpkin is starting to show its age and is developing soft spots in its skin and leaving marks on the table…

It is sad to see it age, however I am fortunate that spring is on its way and I am looking forward to focusing on painting flowers, veggies from my container garden and next autumn I will attempt painting pumpkins again…

No comments: