Sunday, November 30, 2008

Yellow Squash Still Life


Yellow Squash – 6" x 8" – Oil on Canvas Panel – SOLD

Here is another squash that was gathered earlier this season. It has been sitting on my sideboard for awhile. This weekend when I was organizing my studio area, moving furniture and other housekeeping items this squash captured my imagination when I placed it in front of a blue sheet of canson paper.

Here is a detail of the stem. Lately I have been very fascinated with the how to capture and paint a stem or leaf. Well since working on the portrait in class, I am becoming more and more investigative of how to really capture and image realistically with subtle brush strokes. I did not use any medium on this painting, just the paint from the tube. For me this is my most comfortable method, though I have started to use painting medium, but just on a case by case basis.

Here is a detail of the stem and shadow shapes.

2 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Nice job Liz...You really gotta' love that stem. It gives it more life as well as something unique.

Jeffrey

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Jeffery, it is amazing how the stem gives a simple object greater energy and interest. Much better then the squash from the grocery store with short stubby stems :)