Monday, December 5, 2011

Still Life with Yellow Mum {a new daily painting}

Still Life with Yellow Mum & Green Bottle

Still Life with Yellow Mum and Green Bottle

7" x 5" (17.8 x 12.7 cm) – oil on linen panel}
Sold
Unframed painting: $100.00 + S&H

Hello,

It was a nice weekend and so far a busy Monday. Naomi is keeping me on my toes, which makes it difficult for me to focus on what I want to share with you about this painting... but here goes.

The painting was completed on a gray overcast day, with only natural light. On overcast days I find the light quality is particularly cool and blue, which slants all the color temperatures in the highlights and the shadows end up being on the warm side, but still with hints of blues, greens, and purples. This was the first time I began to perceive and understand this while painting, I feel certain future investigations on how gray days affect color quality will be pursued. So let the gray days continue and luckily we are entering winter, so I expect many more gray days will occur.

Have a wonderful evening, and thanks for stopping by,
Liz

No comments: