Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Great Falls {en plein air}

Potomac River Series 29 - Great Falls

{approx 5" x 9" (12.7 x 22.9 cm) – oil on gessoed paper}

When creating art, I find I am totally focused on the present, in tune with my surroundings and eager to understand and know what is before me better than I ever have before. When I go outside to paint, awareness grows stronger in me and I feel invigorated and inspired with life.

Yesterday a friend and fellow artist reminded me of a quote by Eugene Boudin

"Everything that is painted directly and on the spot has always a strength, a power, and a vivacity of touch"

I think this belief in the strength of being in the moment and interacting with it as an equal participant applies to all aspects of life. By being present and involved the sense of self grows.

I hope this post inspires you to engage in your world and to find areas where you can interact in a direct method, just like painting on location.

No comments: