Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Treasures from Afar

Treasures from Afar – 18" x 24" (45.7 x 61 cm) – Oil on Canvas

Hello ~

I finished this one just in time as I am heading out on a trip tomorrow to western Washington to visit with family and spend some time on Lake Roosevelt. This is my first trip flying with an oil painting kit, and I am looking forward to completing a painting or two while out there. The sunsets in western Washington are spectacular.

This painting has been on the easel for several weeks now and is the third large-ish painting I have completed this month, they were all started the second week of July (here are links to the first and second paintings).

The pottery is borrowed from my friend Chrish, who at one time lived in Morocco. The pottery is so beautiful and all are handmade with the slight imperfections of handmade items. Like the rims are not exactly even and the pattern changes as it goes around the bowl making up for anything omitted or extra. The traveling trunk was given to me by my love, he found it a few months back and knew I would like it as a still life item. The trunk has old worn out leather and brass bits, the canvas coating is worn in places and torn in others. And on the sides there are several old travel stickers from the different destinations it was taken to.

With this painting I have been experimenting on working with layers and glazes. Last year when I was taking a painting class from Danni Dawson, she spoke about the textural differences between painting alla prima versus slowly layering and building up a painted surface. For the various parts of the painting I would block it in and then would go back to refine and rework an area, always striving to add a greater sense of depth and quality of light. The painting relied on bright indirect natural light, so on the cloudy, overcast days no painting occurred, I worked on other projects.

Here is an example of an area that was first blocked in and the final outcome with the various layers. I am really knocked out by the base of this bowl, the reflected highlights and the modeling of the white glaze at the bottom rim. This is what is supposed to happen when working with all the extra layers and in the end it is worth all the time dedicated to a single painting.

While away I am going to take a break from blogging, and before I sign off I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you how much I appreciate your support and comments. These past five months have been so rewarding and having friends like you stopping by and visiting has been wonderful. Thank you and have a wonderful week! Liz

11 comments:

Kerri Settle said...

I hope your trip goes well. This painting a real knockout and my eye is drawn to each and every element from the detailed bowls and vases to that weathered chest.

Thanks for the before and after of the details. I admit I always attempt to finish paintings off in one go and am disappointed when I usually can't, but I get much more vibrant colors if I work in layers.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Kerri. I always feel the desire for instant gratification is strong in me and that is why I like alla prima painting so much. And you are correct, the colors become more rich and vibrant when working in the layers.

elizabeth said...

I like your painting "Treasures From Afar" very much...color, composition, treasures.

Isabel said...

Your work paid off. The light truly reveals itself in your painting. Have a wonderful trip!

Manorhousefineart said...

Hello Elizabeth from Washington North East England. Wonderful work Liz...please have a look at my realism and comment please! Thank you..

John Allsopp

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thanks Isabel, it always feels good when others see and appreciate the effort.

Hi John, thanks for stopping by and I look forward to seeing your work.

Jean Victory said...

Hi Liz,
Your "Treasures From Afar" is a beautiful piece. Love the daily work also. Take care

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Jean,

I appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Liz

Nkolika Anyabolu (MD) said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Your work is breathtaking!!!! I love your fruits and this one too.

I am also a fan of Alla prima technique but there's no disputing the fact that paintings done with the glazing technique always turn out rich and vibrant.

Great work!!!

L.Holm said...

Hi, Liz. Wow!! I adore the color in this. Absolutely fantastic!
Hope you have a great painting session w/Danni Dawson. Am envious. :-D

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Nkolika, I hear you alla prima is fun but taking the time on a painting and using glazes adds something special.

Hi Liz, it is so nice the see you and painting with Danni is exciting and I am sometimes surprized how she can push you to new territories in painting with such ease.