Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!


Graphite Sketch of Slim

In the past few years I have come to view the holiday season as a time to take stock and be thankful for all that has occurred during the year. I also use the month of December to focus on friends and family. Now with the celebration of Christmas behind us and the commencement of a new year I have spent some time today and during the past week to plan and establish some new goals.

Typically this mental “cleaning house” also coincides with the physical cleaning and organizing of my desk and filing system. So I have been busy this week organizing and moving some furniture around all in preparation of starting the new year off well. With my house physically in order I feel am better able to commit to and take action on the resolutions I have set for the upcoming year.

Here are the main goals I am going to work towards this year:

* In 2009 I will dedicate time to the exploration of different techniques and mediums. Currently I focus primerily on painting with oils. I want to spend some of my "art" time exploring soft pastels, watercolor, drawing, and woodblock printing in addition to oil painting. I have already signed up for a drawing class with Robert Liberace this winter term at the Art League as my first action to incorporate this goal. I also spent my freetime today sketching instead of painting. The sketch above is of my kitty, Slim.

* In 2009 I will carve out more time to read. My current reading list is:
-The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
-I'd Rather Be in the Studio!
-Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting
-Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
-Civilisationby Kenneth Clark (the TV series is also great!)
-The Art Spirit
-A book on composition, maybe this on or this one

* In 2009 I will work towards transitioning my career focus to being a full-time artist. This is by far my most ambitious goal. As it will require me to organize my life in a manner where I take a break from the profession of architecture. I have the support of my husband, Steve, and my friends and family I have shared this with. So it is just a matter of getting everything together and being comfortable with the transition when it will take place.

Well, here are the goals set for 2009, I will evaluate the status each quarter to see where I am and to see how I may need to tweak the game plan as necessary. In reflectiong of 2008 I realize it was a challenging year for so many of us. I am hoping the past difficulties were just the rough part of the road leading to a smoother journey in the year to come.

What are your plans for 2009?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely lovely sketch!! So simple and beautiful!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Ambera!

heather smith jones said...

Art & Fear is very good. I often return to it!
Happy New year to you!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Art and Fear is a good read so far...

Paula Villanova said...

Glad you're back to sketching Slim! What a great kitty to sit so well for you. I love how you capture a cat's essence with a few simple lines. Best of luck in your career pursuits. I left my full time job in May to develop my art at least for awhile, and although not everything worked out to plan, I'm grateful that I have been able to take this time to be in the studio to develop my painting. The key is to really plan it in advance, and it sounds like you are doing just that. Best of luck to you!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Paula for stopping by. Yes I think the planning before the jump may be the most difficult becuase of the unknowns and that it will be a big change from what I have been doing for over 8 years. What were you doing before you made the jump to full-time art?