Friday, August 1, 2008

Another Frieze Painting, this time of lemons


Lemons in a Row – Frieze Painting IV – 5-1/2” x 12” Oil on Linen Panel SOLD

This painting is another long linear composition, where I use these Frieze paintings as a means to experiment and learn about paint handling techniques other than the alla prima method (meaning completed in one setting) I typically employ.

For this painting I worked over an extended period of time, often waiting for layers to dry to a certain level before moving on. The technique I utilized most on this painting was the affect of glazing. I applied both glazes derived from opaque pigments to transparent ones. The transparent pigments were often easier to suspend in medium, and would flow lightly and evenly over the canvas. Where the opaque pigments required more medium, and would catch and hang onto the uneven paint surface. I really liked how each provided a different effect that deepened my painting experience.

Thanks, Liz

3 comments:

Susan Carlin said...

I love everything about this painting- the strong off-set verticals against the strong horizontal elements, the way you grouped the lemons: one, two, one, one. The orientation of the fruit keeps the eye in the painting, the reflection of one lemon in the side of the other... and even that you signed it in the upper right corner so as not to interrupt your composition. Excellent and beautiful.

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Love the way you composed this one Elizabeth and the board size used.
Your choice of colours really works here. Good one!

Jeffrey

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Susan, You articulated composition decisions I was not even aware I made.

Thanks Jeffrey, It has been a joy working with different canvase sizes. Though I think most people will suggest the sticking to standard sizes for ease of framing, I like the odd sizes for the sense of variety.