Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Red Pear Still Life Painting


Red Pear – 6" x 8" Oil on Canvas Panel – SOLD

Yah-hoo! I was able to grab some time yesterday to make a small painting! It feels like it has been forever… for the past four weeks my painting time was cut in half with work and other business related activities. It feels good to be back in the saddle.

This was my second attempt at painting this single pear. The first one got wiped down. And it really proves that you have to go with your gut on this, as the first attempt was just not coming together. When I did wipe it down, I felt free and ready to face the next opportunity. For me this pear was a challenge to depict the blues and purples in the shadow areas while also making the form round.

Here is a detail photo:


One activity that has kept me from painting as well is that I am going through several new books that were generously given to me by my mother-in-law, Susie. Her mother was an art teacher in Montgomery County for several years and had collected a wonderful library of all sorts of books related to art. Later this year I will share some of my favorites with some book reviews, for now I wanted to share a photo of my kitty, Slim, and how she has chosen to appreciate the new books…

9 comments:

Paula Villanova said...

I like your pear painting; you got the unique peculiarity of it's shape just right. What a nice gift of art books from your mother-in-law! I use mine regularly both for reference and my "art fix!" Slim is a lucky kitty! Thank you for the award; I'm so glad you enjoy my blog. One of the nice things about these awards is the exposure to other artists that I may not have known about otherwise. It's great to see the work of others.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Paula,

I am glad you like the award and how it is a great way to share other artist information.

Anonymous said...

I love the pear! Keep up the great work!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

The pear came out great. Keep getting back on the horse!. I am besotted with my cat.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Getting back on the horse is probably the best way to recover from feeling bad.

And I know I am besotted with my cat, she is so precious I cannot imagine being anything else. On my personal blog, I just posted a silly video of "playing string" with her in the bathtub. Her favorite romping place! go figure, trying to figure out a cat is just impossible...

Theresa Rankin said...

Great shape, great color....what can I say this is luscious!!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Theresa! I love the funny shapes of pears.

Jennifer Bellinger said...

I think the placement of your pear is perfect in this simple composition..love it!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Jennifer, I really value your comments!