Wednesday, September 3, 2008

View of Potomac Landscape Painting


View of the Potomac – 8” x 10” Oil on Canvas Panel NFS

I am still working on art “back of house” stuff and two large paintings. So blog posts have been slim. Fortunately my husband, Steve, brought home this painting from his office. I completed this landscape painting last year and never posted it on this blog. Seeing a painting after a long while is like receiving a gift from an old friend. Welcome home again!

Since moving to the DC area over eight years ago, I love the views of the Potomac River and the dense trees that pervade the area. During the summer the landscape has these great hazy prospects that emphasize the rolling terrain of the region and the sweltering heat. So the light is diffused and somewhat grayed out. The quality of light is changing now that we are moving into the fall. Humidity is reducing and the light is sharper. Casting stronger shadows and saturating the views. Saying this emphasizes I really need to get outdoors and paint, instead of just thinking about it and describing it. Well, if this weekend goes well, maybe all of my chores will be completed and my larger paintings will be far enough along to head outside…

Have a great evening! Liz

4 comments:

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

It's a beauty Liz, a real stunner!!

Jeffrey

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Jeffery!

theresamillerwatercolors said...

I love the painting and reading your entry. I also have lived in DC area and love the Potomac, especially the view of Gorgetown U. from Rosslyn (sp?), with the river in the foreground...

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Theresa, the view from Rosslyn to Georgetown is one of my favorites as well. I also especially like looking up the Potomac to the three little rock islands from the Key Bridge.

This is the weekend I wanted to get out and paint, however hurricane Hanna has pushed rain and strong winds in this area now... Maybe next weekend...