Sunday, March 29, 2009

Daffodils and Pomegrante Still Life


Daffodils and Pomegranate – 12" x 9" – Oil on Canvas – SOLD

I started this painting on Friday, wanting to paint a bunch of daffodils in varying positions. The strong geometric form of these flowers ~ six petals where the points make a hexagon, the central cone also having ±6 facets where the points usually are centered on the petals ~ really fascinates me. Geometry and nature do coincide sometimes.

As a kid I was given a coloring book that was just different kinds of grids, where you could color in different sections to create your own patterns, it was kind of like this book. I loved how there were infinite pattern options available to color. When painting these daffodils I was reminded of these childhood experiences of coloring and finding pleasure in repetitive but varied patterns, using the brightest colors available to me in my box of 64 crayons.

Tomorrow I am leaving for a week to accompany my husband on a business trip. I am not sure if I will have an opportunity to post during the week. If not I will return Monday, April 6th.

Have a nice week. Liz

8 comments:

Paula Villanova said...

This is beautifully executed and a lovely image.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Paula

Patricia Siegel said...

I hope you are having a lovely trip. I am impressed with your dedication to your painting, so I am bestowing upon you the "Passion for Painting" award. Check out my 4/2 blog post for details!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Trish, thanks for the award, I will check it out and see what the details are. Liz

Anonymous said...

Nice composition and color combinations!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Anna it means a lot!

Anonymous said...

Your figure drawing is beautiful, and I absolutely love the colour and form in the watercolours...reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe (one of my favorites) though your colours seem much more vibrant. Love the photo of the entire piece (including paper). It's nice to see that vibrant colour against the white. What size are your pieces?

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Veronica and thanks for your comment. The sizes vary depending on what it is, the watercolors have been small 2-1/2" square typically, and the figure drawing was a full sheet of Canson paper. And paintings tend to be small, but I have been branching out and painting larger sizes. The size in inches is typically placed next to the title of the piece.