Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pear on Wooden Crate Still Life Painting


Pear on Wooden Crate – 8” x 8” – Oil on Canvas Panel

Last weekend I decided to start experimenting more with oil mediums. This painting was painted almost entirely with the aid of Liquin. Most of the time when I paint, it is with the paint straight from the tube. I like the thickness of the paint and the quality of brushstrokes you achieve with using paint this way. However I am trying to branch out and try different methods. So using medium seemed like the correct next step.

I choose to use liquin because supposedly it makes oil paint dry faster; I am still not sure about that. Getting paint to dry faster has been an issue since I have been using titanium white more often and it takes forever to dry and setup versus cremnitz white, which is my white of choice.

Yesterday I spent most of my time fine tuning and working on the wood grain of the crate. All an exercise in patience and observation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

eLIZabeth,
I agree, watching paint dry is surely a lesson in patience.
Love,
Uncle Sam.....

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Uncle Sam! I totally agree that watching paint dry can be all about patience. Though it definitely makes me think about what steps I need to take in advance.

Paula Villanova said...

That crate is fantastic!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Paula!

Laurel Daniel said...

Oh, I love this sassy little pear and its fabulous shadow! Gorgeous treatment of the wooden crate too!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi Laurel, thanks for dropping by and commenting.