Friday, March 13, 2009

Figure Drawing - charcoal and white chalk


Ellen – 25” x 19” – Canson Mi-Teintes Drawing Paper

This is the last drawing from my winter term drawing class, taught by Robert Liberace. This drawing was completed over three classes, and each time I learned new nuances of drawing and rendering the human form.

Below is the conclusion of the first class. I used the gray paper as my light-midtone and really just laid in the form. Starting to add some highlights helped me discern values.


This is where I ended up at the end of the second class. I knew there were areas to work on and some areas still needed some figuring out. Ellen's head really was a challenge, I drew and erased it at least eight times. Though all that drawing and erasing paid off because eventually I was able to get it sort of right...


This is a detail of the drawing at the end of the third class. As soon as I set up in the last class, I erased the facial features again, because I realized they were not correct. I worked to really define the shapes of the eye sockets, the nose, and mouth. I also continued to refine the shadow shapes and highlights of the form.

8 comments:

ale balanzario said...

Oh Elizabeth, you did such a great work. Very good.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Ale thanks, it means a lot :-)

Paula Villanova said...

Wow, your drawing is just beautiful. Glad you are dedicating yourself to your art right now!

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Paula, Next week is my last work week and I think this transition is really going to be a good experience. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Anonymous said...

you're an excellent artist! great figure studies. i hope to show some of my art if i ever pick it up again..

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Floreta thanks for the support. I am finding blogging to be a great way to share with others the work I create. It has been a great experience.

Jala Pfaff said...

Class with Liberace! I'm jealous.
This is a great drawing.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Thanks Jala, Liberace is a good instructor and I have been learning a lot from him.